Friday, May 22, 2009

The Wonder of the Word

"Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."
-Psalm 119:18

In January of this year, I came across something that has been a great blessing to me. It was a reading schedule that would enable me to read through the Bible in ninety days. The truth is, I had become stagnant in my walk with the Lord. Even the messages that I were preaching did not have the same power as they once did. I knew that the reason that I had lost my freshness is that I was not truly taking in God's Word in my private devotional time. Sure I was reading the Bible, but I was not allowing God's Word to penetrate my heart. Oh, what great conviction grabbed a hold of my soul and shook it to its very core! God has called me to preach his blessed Book, yet his Word was becoming a just a tool to use in sermon preparation. On my knees , I prayed and asked the Lord to forgive his wicked servant and there I promised him that I would begin to consume his Word and esteem it more than my necessary food. So this year I have set a personal goal to read through the Scriptures four times during my personal morning devotions. This may sound like a great feat, but honestly it is only around 15 or so chapters a day. Now, since beginning this schedule, Lord has really opened up his Word to my heart, and once again I am truly amazed and stand in awe at the wonders of God Holy Word. Let me give you just a few thoughts about the Wonders of God's Word.


I. It's Complete in its Compilation

SCRIPTURE:Psalm 119:89 "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."


II. It's Right in its Renderings


SCRIPTURE:
PSALM 12:6, 7 "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever."


III. It's True in its Teachings

SCRIPTURE:
John 17:17 "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."


IV. It's Preeminent in its Position

SCRIPTURE:
Psalm 138:2 "I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."


V. It's Absolute in its Authority

SCRIPTURE:
2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

SCRIPTURE:
Matthew 5:18, 19 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."


READING SCHEDULE NOTE: If you would like a copy of this reading schedule it may be found at http://www.havenministries.com/schedule.pdf. I do not know anything about the articles and such on the site itself! This is just where I found the reading schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment