Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing."
I Peter 3: 8, 9

This morning for my private devotional time with the Lord I was able to begin reading from the end of I Samuel to chapter 12 of II Samuel. While I was reading about the life of David, I noticed something that really convicted my heart. That which convicted my heart was the spirit of David. David was a man who really lived I Peter 3:8, 9.

Notice how David treated those who hated him.

I. When Saul was killed David honored him. (II Samuel 1:13-27)

II. When Abner was killed, David acclaimed him a prince. (II Samuel 3:31-39)


III. When Ishbosheth was killed David put to death his murders. (II Samuel 4:1-12)

Would to God that I could be more like David!
  • 1Pe 3:9, "Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing..."
  • 1Th 5:15 "See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men."
  • I Peter 2:21-23, "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:"
May God instill in each of our hearts this day a gracious attitude and a Christlike spirit. Our churches, workplaces, homes, and hearts would be better off if it were so.

No comments:

Post a Comment